A Proud Tradition
- The Santa Monica High School Orchestra was founded in 1913.
- The orchestra program rests on a strong foundation. Instrumental music instruction is available to all students in the district beginning in fourth grade.
- 300 students from Samohi’s diverse student body participate in six orchestra ensembles.
Honors and Recognition
- Grand Champion, American String Teachers Association National Orchestra Festival, 2005
- First public high school ensemble to perform at Walt Disney Concert Hall, 2006
- Performances at Carnegie Hall and Symphony Space in New York, and prestigious venues in Europe and China
- The Samohi Chamber Orchestra placed 1st in its division at the 40th Annual Northwest Orchestra Festival, 2013.
- 49 Samohi orchestra students were selected to participate in the California Orchestra Directors Association Honors Concert, 2013.
- The Samohi Orchestras have been accepted into the Los Angeles Philharmonic Youth Orchestra Mentorship Program, which provides students with instruction, master classes and opportunities to observe the LA Phil in rehearsal.
- Distinguished professionals who have worked with the Samohi Symphony include: Daniel Boico, assistant conductor, New York Philharmonic; David Robertson, St. Louis Symphony; theater director Peter Sellars; Academy Award–winning film composer Michael Giacchino; Grammy Award–winning violinist Mark O’Connor; world-renowned cellist Lynn Harrell.